If you struggle with anxiety like so many others, having a canine companion can make managing it a lot easier.
There are certain dogs that are better than others when it comes to keeping your anxiety to a minimum.
The more you learn about these options, the easier it will be to choose the right breed.
10 Best Dog Breeds for Anxiety
1. German Shepherd – Great Dog For Anxiety
You won’t have to worry about your safety when you are at home or anywhere else. These dogs are also great for people with kids of all ages.
2. Border Collie
The Border Collie is a playful, high energy dog that is known for being impressively intelligent. While they can be a bit of a handful at times, they are extremely devoted to their owners and put off a very positive general energy.
This can help you with getting through even the roughest of times with your anxiety. If you are looking for a dog to provide you with love and comfort, this breed is definitely worth considering.
3. Saint Bernard
The Saint Bernard is a massive dog with a gentle nature and kind heart. These enormous canines are also very playful and take good care of their owners when necessary. You can expect this dog to stay by your side if you are having a panic attack.
This breed is known for being incredibly patient, which is certainly a good thing for people with anxiety. If you are a fan of big dogs, this is an option to look into.
The Pembroke Welsh Corgi is yet another amazing dog choice for anxiety sufferers. This dog is extremely affectionate and very easy to train. The upbeat, happy-go-lucky smile of these dogs is enough to keep virtually anyone calm and feeling good.
These dogs are very friendly with just about everyone they encounter. You won’t have to deal with a lot of stressful barking and other misbehavior.
The Maltese is an incredible dog to cuddle up with on the couch, and it will help keep your anxiety in check on a daily basis. These small dogs are pretty easy to care for, though their long coat does require quite a bit of regular maintenance. This is one of the best choices for those who want a breed that will help them stay relaxed and at ease. Most Maltese are very docile with a calm overall energy.
6. Great Dane
Great Danes may be gigantic dogs, but they are known for being extraordinarily gentle as well as obedient. It does not take much effort to train these dogs, and they are not big barkers. Taking care of a Great Dane can be a bit of work, but it is well worth it overall.
This breed is known for being silly and playful, which will be sure to put on a smile on your face. You will have no problem with one of these dogs after you have thoroughly trained them. Professional training is usually not necessary.
Pugs have a reputation for being the “cutest ugly” dog in the world. Their smooshed face and funny snorting sounds make them endearing to say the least. This breed is another great option for people with anxiety disorders.
They are very attuned to the emotional state of their owner, and always provide comfort when necessary. If you want an affectionate and entertaining canine companion, you can’t do much better than a pug.
Golden Retrievers are undoubtedly one of the best dogs to have if you have problems with anxiety. These dogs are highly intelligent and love to please their owners. This breed is often used by those who need a service or emotional support animal. It is important to make sure that your Golden gets lots of exercise each day.
A poodle could be exactly what you need when it comes to keeping your anxiety under control. These animals are smart, affectionate and very loyal. Lots of people who have issues with anxiety choose them as pets.
They are also very obedient if you take the time to train them properly. You can depend on this dog to provide you with years of loyalty and devotion.
10. Great Pyrenees
Great Pyrenees also make great pets for anxiety sufferers. They are known for being extremely calm and docile animals that give off relaxing energy. The big fluffy coat of this dog requires regular maintenance, but it feels great to pet when you need to sooth yourself to avoid having a panic attack.
These dogs are very large and therefore take up a lot of space, so you should ideally have a big backyard for yours to run around in. This is definitely one of the most loveable breeds on the planet.
- The German Shepherd is an excellent guard dog that can provide you with a definitive sense of security at all times.
- Border Collies are beautiful dogs that are also very smart and loyal to their owners.
- The Saint Bernard a big and fluffy dog with a gentle nature that is perfect for anxiety sufferers.
- The Pembroke Welsh Corgi will provide you with years of devoted companionship and a friendly demeanor.
- Maltese are excellent dogs for people with anxiety, as they have a calm nature and are fairly easy to care for.
- Great Danes are also large dogs that have a reputation for being quite affectionate and even silly.
- Pugs are adorable little dogs that offer a certain charm that no other breed can provide you with.
- Golden Retrievers are often used as service dogs, and their caring nature makes them perfect for people with anxiety disorders.
- A poodle will help you to stay calm when your anxiety becomes a problem. It is a very obedient breed when properly trained.
- Great Pyrenees are calm dogs that can help you relax with their mere presence.