It is not can they eat gummy bears but should they eat them, which is NO.  

They are not good for dogs but people still feed them to their dogs because their dog looks at them with those sad eyes and begs for them so the pet owner gives in to them.  One gummy bear would probably not hurt a dog but any more than that could be harmful and dangerous for your dog.  

Why Are Gummy Bears not Good for Dogs

One main reason that you should not give gummy bears to your dogs is that they may contain Xylitol, which is a sweet-tasting crystalline alcohol that is used as an artificial sweetener in many foods.  It is a naturally occurring alcohol that is found in many plant materials. 

The sugar in gummy bears could cause took decay and make them not want to eat their own food.  If they develop tooth decay this could put them in trouble because most dogs eat dry food.  With tooth decay or loss of teeth, it would make eating hard for them.  Gummy bears are considered one of the ten most dangerous foods for a dog.  Most of them contain a lot of sugar which equals calories, which can make your dog fat and hyper.

Dogs are omnivores, which mean that they can eat both animal and plant matter and they have a digestive system that is delicate when you compare them to a human’s digestive system.  This is another reason why your dog should not eat gummy bears, or any people food for that matter.

SEE NEXT:  Are Dachshunds Hypoallergenic? Do They Shed a Lot?

Problems Associated With Dogs Eating Gummy Bears

  • Liver Damage:  When dogs eat gummy bears it can cause liver damage leading to hepatic failure, which basically means liver failure.  The main reason was that they ate gummy bears that had xylitol, which damages the dog’s liver.
  • A Surge in Insulin:  Again, this was probably caused by xylitol.  When the level or rate of insulin surges in dogs, the formation of their blood lowers and can cause a brain hemorrhage.  It is hazardous for a dog to have small blood formation.  In a dog’s brain, glucose is a primary source of energy.  If your dog consumes too many gummy bears, a surge in energy and insulin can happen in five to 30 minutes.
dog hungry

Xylitol Poisoning Symptoms

Gummy bears have been around for a long time but it has just come to light recently that it can contain xylitol, which is very toxic for dogs.  While gummy bears are not good for dogs, if you accidentally give them some with xylitol it can be deadly.  If you want to give your dog one gummy bear, always read the ingredients to make sure it does not list xylitol as an ingredient.  If not listed, err on the side of caution and do not give them one.

Here are some of the symptoms of xylitol poisoning.  If you think your dog has been poisoned by xylitol, take them to the veterinarian immediately.  It would help if you know how many they ate and how long ago they ate them, whether you gave them to the dog or the dog got in them on its own.

  • Diarrhea and vomiting, which can be severe
  • Low blood or hypoglycemia
  • Shaking of the body or seizures
  • Brain hemorrhage
  • Unstable walking
  • Liver damage
  • Hyperactivity
  • Insulin surge
  • Collapsing when trying to walk or get up
  • A heart rate that is accelerated
  • Stool that may have a tarry appearance
SEE NEXT:  My Dog’s Stool Has Blood but Acting Normal, What's Wrong?

Some of these symptoms may happen instantly but some may take time for them to happen.  Sometimes when a dog eats gummy bears, their body will automatically react and they will start vomiting trying to rid their body of the gummy bears. 

Although the reason they are vomiting, it could be due to a large amount of sugar or a symptom of xylitol poisoning.    To be safe, take your dog to the veterinarian.  If they have accidentally eaten gummy bears, try to find the package and check the ingredients to see if it contains xylitol.

gummy bears

Safe Homemade Gummy Bears 

If your dog wants some of your gummy bears you can make some homemade ones that are actually good for them.  For these dog-safe gummy bears, you will need a half cup of bone broth for the base ingredient as this is suitable for your dog.  You will also need a half of a beet and an envelope of unflavored gelatin plus a handful of parsley.  This recipe will make about a hundred gummy bears.

Blend the beets with one to two teaspoons of water with parsley.  The next step is to separate the solid part of the puree from the liquid.  Mix the vegetable liquid with the gelatin and let it sit for five minutes.  Heat the broth and then stir in the vegetable gelatin mix into the broth, stirring until it is dissolved totally. 

You can get one of those tiny gummy bear candy molds or put them in a large baking dish and put them in the refrigerator until they are firm, which will generally take a few hours.   Make sure that you keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator, which they will last for seven to ten days.

SEE NEXT:  Are Boxers Hypoallergenic? Do They Shed a Lot?

Conclusion

  • If you just have to give your dog a gummy bear, make sure that it does not contain xylitol as it is very toxic to dogs.
  • Gummy bears are in the top ten list of most dangerous foods for dogs
  • Xylitol is as sweet as sugar so the sweet taste my appeal to a dog but many times the sugar taste does not appeal to them.  They just like to eat.  
  • The calories in the gummy bears can make your dog obese and develop heart problems.
  • Gummy bears may also stimulate the production of too much saliva in a dog.
  • Even a small amount of xylitol can be toxic to a dog.
3 Shares:

0 thoughts on “ Can Dogs Eat Gummy Bears? ”

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You May Also Like