It isn’t uncommon for dogs to eat insects, including ants, wasps, and even bees.

 The stinging capabilities of this particular insect can pose a significant threat to your dog’s health. If you notice your dog eats a bee, you need to know which steps to take immediately after.

Can My Dog Die from Eating a Bee?

While it is unlikely that your dog will die from eating a bee, there is a significant risk of illness. Your dog should be able to digest the bee without any issues, but it can get stung before this happens.

The venom that bees release when stinging an animal can cause quite a bit of discomfort. The only time that bee stings are fatal is when the person or animal is allergic to the venom. It is very unlikely that your dog will have such a reaction to a bee sting.

Effects of a Bee Sting

If your dog swallows a bee and gets stung in the process, there are a number of effects that can occur. Some of these effects are relatively minor and pretty harmless, while others are an indication of a severe reaction.

You’ll want to look out for the following symptoms:

  • Excessive drooling
  • Diarrhea
  • Persistent vomiting
  • Hives or welts
  • swollen eyes
  • Lethargic behavior
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Muscle weakness
  • General disorientation
  • Difficulty breathing
SEE NEXT:  Why Do Some Dogs Not Bark?

These symptoms strongly indicate an allergic reaction to a bee sting. If you notice any of these things with your dog, you need to get them immediate medical attention.

dog is catching a bee e1582780945678

How to Respond to a Bee Sting

There are a number of things that you’ll want to know when it comes to responding to your dog getting stung by a bee.

1. Get the Bee Out of Its Mouth

You’ll want to check your dog’s mouth to see if the bee is still in there. If so, you’ll need to remove it as quickly and carefully as possible. This can be pretty tricky, especially if the bee hasn’t already stung your dog. The last thing you want is to cause it to sting them as you try to get it out of their mouth. Be very careful when you are doing this.

2. Pulling the Stinger Out

If your dog has been stung by a bee, you will need to get the stinger out of its mouth. Whether the stinger is on your dog’s tongue, check or even gums, you’ll have to be careful. Get some tweezers and get a firm grip on the stinger. Slowly pull it out of your dog’s mouth, making sure not to cause them any more distress than necessary.

3. Stay With Your Dog

You’ll want to stay close to your dog for at least the next few hours to monitor their condition. This will also provide your canine companion with comfort, as will probably be in pain. Keep a close eye on them and look out for any of the symptoms listed above. You should be ready to take them to the vet at a moment’s notice.

SEE NEXT:  Are Boxers Hypoallergenic? Do They Shed a Lot?

4. Can I Give My Dog Medication for an Allergic Reaction?

If it seems like your dog is having an allergic reaction after getting stung by a bee, you can try giving it some Benadryl. This is an antihistamine medication that can be very effective at combating even severe allergic reactions.

Make sure that you only give your dog 1 milligram for every pound of their body weight. Giving them too much of this medication can cause a whole other set of health problems for them. 

It is not a particularly good idea to give your dog any human medications before consulting your vet. Call them up on the phone and ask if it is okay before doing this.

bee on a dogs nose

5. What to Expect at the Vet

If you end up taking your dog to the vet because they were stung by a bee, you’ll need to know what to expect. If your dog is exhibiting symptoms of an allergic reaction to bee venom, the vet will quickly administer medication to stop it.

The vet will also perform an inspection of your dog’s mouth to check for any injuries your pooch might have sustained from the bee. Further testing should not be necessary, but they might want to keep them overnight if they had a severe allergic reaction. They’ll also want to administer fluids with an IV in this case.

6. Consider the Type of Bee

The effects of a bee sting for your dog will partially depend on the type of bee they ate. For instance, a regular honey bee sting isn’t nearly as bad as a wasp sting. It is, however, pretty unlikely that your dog will ever get stung by a wasp. These insects spend most of their time high up, so your dog can’t reach them even if it wanted to.

SEE NEXT:  Are Pomeranians Hypoallergenic? Do They Shed a Lot?

Prevention

You can reduce the chances of your dog eating a bee by simply keeping a close eye on it while outside. If you notice that a bee is flying around when you are out with your dog, you’ll want to move away from it quickly. Always keep your dog on a leash so that you can control it easily.

Conclusion

  • While bee stings are rarely fatal for dogs, they can cause quite a bit of discomfort.
  • It is important that you keep a close eye on your dog if it has been stung by a bee.
  • Look for signs of an allergic reaction to bee venom, including difficulty breathing and swelling of the face and eyes.
  • Take the bee out of your dog’s mouth quickly and carefully if it hasn’t swallowed it.
  • If your dog swallowed a bee, you’ll want to keep a close eye on it for the next several hours.
  • Take your dog to the vet right away if you notice any signs of a severe reaction of any kind.
  • The best way to keep your dog from eating bees is by keeping them on a leash while outside.
  • If you see a bee flying around while you are with your dog, move away so that it is no longer a threat.
0 Shares:

0 thoughts on “ My dog Ate a Bee, What Should I do? ”

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You May Also Like