Feeding your cats just the right amount of food is extremely important.
This will ultimately determine just how healthy your feline friend is.
What to Consider
There are a few key factors to consider before determining how much food to give your cat on a daily basis.
- Your cat’s age: Younger cats, especially kittens, tend to need more food in general. If you have a little kitty, they are going to require a lot of protein to get all the energy they need on a daily basis.
- Weight: Cats that weigh around 5 pounds can be given ¼ cup of food per day, while cats that are closed to 10 pounds can be given ½ cups. If your cat is heavier than that, you should stick to between ½ and ¾ cups of dry food.
- Energy level: There is also your cat’s energy level to take into consideration. If your pet is moving around all day, they don’t need to eat as much as a lazier cat. Indoor cats should typically be fed less than outdoor cats, as they get less exercise.
- Pregnancy: The amount of food that a cat eats will steadily increase as their pregnancy progresses. They need the additional nutrients, so this is perfectly normal. These cats need to eat almost twice as much as they normally do each day.
- The cat food: Even the food that you are giving your cat is important. The more nutritious it is, the less you’ll have to give your pet. You also need to consider how many calories the cat food has in it.
It is crucial that you are consistent with feeding your cat. You will need to do this at the same time every single day. Otherwise you will throw off your cat’s schedule, which is not a good thing. This might cause them quite a bit of stress, which can lead to all sorts of destructive behaviors.
Giving Your Cat a New Food
If you are giving your cat a new food for the first time, it might take a little bit for them to adjust. Some cats can be pretty finicky, so just keep that in mind. You might find that your feline companion rejects the food you give them if they have never had it.
Your Cat’s Health
One of the most important factors to consider when it comes to how much you should feed your cat is how healthy it is. If you have an obese cat that isn’t in very good shape, overfeeding is not recommended.
Anyone who has a cat that is severely overweight will need to avoid feeding their cat more than necessary each day.
If you want to make sure that your cat has enough food throughout the day, you might want to get an automatic food dispenser. These devices will ensure that your cat always has enough to eat no matter what.
Take the time to review some of the different food dispensers that are available online before making a decision. These devices have different capacities and features, so it is a good idea to do some research.
An automatic food dispenser is definitely a good investment if you are gone a lot of the time. You will no longer have to worry about your cat having access to its food when feeding time rolls around.
A “food puzzle” is a sort of toy with food packed in it. One of the great things about these food delivery devices is that they will satisfy your cat’s natural hunting instincts. It will also provide them with a significant amount of exercise on a daily basis.
If you have a cat that tends to get stir crazy while you are gone, a food puzzle is definitely worth looking into. Make sure that it is durable enough to where your kitty won’t tear it apart within the first day. Most of these products are made out of a hard plastic material that lasts a long time.
Multiple Cats in the House
It can be a real challenge to know how much food to give each cat when you have more than other in the same house. You should make a point of watching your cats eat to get a better idea of this.
The last thing you want is for one of your cats to get less food than the others, so you’ll want to study each one’s eating habits. You also don’t want to feed your cats at different times, as this could cause some problems. This can be a little tricky, but you will need to figure it out.
Is Your Cat Getting Enough Food?
There are a couple of fairly simple ways to tell if your cat is getting enough to eat on a regular basis. The first thing you can do is to feel your cat’s ribs. If they feel like they are right under the skin without much meat in between, you probably need to feed them more.
You also don’t want your cat to get too much to eat, as this can lead to excess weight gain. Cats that are significantly overweight can develop a variety of serious health problems.
- There are a variety of factors that can affect how much you should give your cat to eat each day.
- If your cat is pregnant, it will need to eat anywhere from 1.5 to 2x the amount that it normally does.
- Outdoor cats don’t usually need to eat as much as indoor ones because of all the exercise they get.
- You might want to buy an automatic feeder if you are gone most of the day so you know your pet is getting enough to eat.
- A “food puzzle” is also a good investment, as it mimics hunting behavior to make eating more satisfying for felines.
- Feel your cats ribs to make sure you are giving them enough food on a daily basis.