Mangoes are a favorite fruit among many people, but how about cats?
These animals love a lot of fruits, but they aren’t all good for them. You shouldn’t feed your cat any mango until you have read through this article. This information will help you keep your cat healthy and safe.
Is Mangos Safe for Cats?
The first thing that you need to keep in mind is that cats aren’t great at digesting fruit in general. This is not a part of these animals’ natural diet in the wild, so it can definitely cause some issues with them.
Mangos are not inherently toxic or dangerous to cats, but they certainly don’t need them in their diet. This is why moderation is so important if you do decide to give your feline companion any of this food.
Keep in mind that some cats quickly become bored with eating mango due to the taste and texture of this food. While your kitty might gobble it up at first, there is a chance that it will eventually grow tired of it. You shouldn’t be surprised if your pet suddenly refuses to eat it. If this is the case, you don’t want to force them.
Nutritional Benefits of Mangos
One of the reasons that mangos are so healthy is because all of the vitamin A, C and B6 they contain. These vitamins can certainly be beneficial to your cat. They can help your pet absorb protein as well as fat, which these animals need plenty of.
The vitamin C in this fruit can also make your cat’s immune system even stronger. This will enable your pet to fight off potentially dangerous viruses and toxins even more effectively. This is something that it can definitely benefit from, especially as it gets older.
The antioxidants in this fruit also offer this particular benefit. There are carotenoids as well as selenium that can help with keeping your cat in good health throughout the years.
Potential Health Problems
Giving your cat too much of this fruit at once can cause serious problems with their digestive system. It can lead to severe nausea, vomiting, and even diarrhea.
Too much of most fruits can also lead to kidney damage over the long term. This is just another reason to limit the amount of mango you give to your pet.
While an allergic reaction to mango is possible, it is very unlikely. Cats in general are not as prone to food allergies as dogs. You should, however, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any swelling of their face or difficulty breathing.
Tips for Giving Your Cat Mangos
You’ll need to keep these tips in mind before giving your cat any mangos:
- Nothing extra: You shouldn’t put any whipped cream or anything else on the mangos you give your cat. This will only increase the chances of a negative reaction.
- Only small pieces: It is important that you not give your cat a big piece of melon, as they could choke on it. This will also increase the likelihood of an upset stomach and other issues that could be quite serious.
- Don’t force your cat: It is never a good idea to force your cat to eat any food, even ones that have nutritional value.
- See how your cat reacts: Monitor your cat closely after giving it melon to ensure that it isn’t experiencing any stomach problems. If you notice any vomiting, diarrhea or lack of appetite afterwards, you shouldn’t give them this food again.
- It should be a special treat: Mango is not good for cats in large amounts, so you should make it a special treat. You shouldn’t give your cat more than a few small pieces each week at the most.
- Consult your vet: Make sure that you consult with your veterinarian before giving your cat any mango. This could help you to avoid some major health problems that can be very serious.
Which Cats Should Not Have Mango?
If you know that your cat has a sensitive stomach, you should avoid giving it any amount of mango. This could cause problems with their stomach, so it is best to play it safe. Many cats have problems properly digesting fruit, including mangos. You’ll need to keep this in mind before giving your pet any of this food.
What About Kiwi?
Many people give their cats kiwi, as these animals tend to like how it tastes. This particular fruit is loaded with vitamin K, which can serve to protect their liver and keep them healthy over the long term.
Just keep in mind that kiwi can also cause stomach problems in cats when given in large quantities at once. You may notice your cat has diarrhea if you give them too much of this fruit.
Make sure that you only give your pet two or three small pieces. You should start out with just one small piece if it is their first time having it. Keep a close eye on them to see how they react to this food.
- While mango is not inherently dangerous for cats, it is also not a part of their natural diet at all.
- This fruit can cause digestive/stomach problems with cats when it is given to them in large quantities.
- You should only give your cat a few small pieces of mango at once, and not on a regular basis.
- Closely monitor your pet to see how it reacts to the mango for the first time.
- It is never a good idea to give your cat mango with anything else added, including whipped cream.
- Giving your cat a piece of mango that is too big could result in it choking.
- Mangos are vitamin-rich and have antioxidants that can supplement your cat’s health to a certain extent.
- You should never force your cat to eat mango if it doesn’t want to.
- Consult with your vet to make sure it is okay to give your cat this food.