Poisonous Foods for Rabbits

If you are going to own a rabbit, you’ll need to know which foods are poisonous to them.

Giving your bunny the wrong food can cost its life. There are some foods that are more toxic to these animals than others.

When you take the time to get this information, you will become a better owner.

1. Avocado

The chemical compound called persin that is found in avocado makes it potentially lethal to rabbits that ingest it. In fact, it doesn’t take much of this food for your rabbit to developed severe respiratory problems. If you notice your rabbit eat any amount of this food, you should get them to the vet immediately.

2. Chocolate

Chocolate is another food that you don’t want your rabbit to eat any of under any circumstances. There is a chemical in chocolate called theobromine that is toxic to these animals. The caffeine that is also found in chocolate isn’t good for them either.

Some of the most common signs of chocolate poisoning in rabbits include:

  • Shaking
  • Panting (labored breathing)
  • Restless behavior
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting

You should not hesitate to get your rabbit to the vet if you notice them consume any amount of chocolate. Even a small piece of this food can prove deadly within a short amount of time.

3. Fruit Seeds

The seeds of certain fruits, specifically apples, can be very harmful to rabbits if ingested. The seeds in these fruit contain a certain chemical that could kill your rabbit if they swallow even a couple.

SEE NEXT:  Pet Rabbit Care Guide & Information

There are also pits to worry about as well. The pits of peaches, plums and apricots are toxic to rabbits too. If you are going to give your pet bunny any of these fruits, you’ll need to make sure that they do not swallow the pits or seeds.

rabbit eat apple

4. Certain Vegetables

There are certain vegetables that you never want your rabbit to consume, including onions, shallots, chives and garlic. Red or brown onions are especially toxic, so you’ll need to keep that in mind.

These vegetables can cause a rapid depletion of your rabbit’s red blood cells when they are ingested. This can cause serious problems with their health that you don’t want to deal with. These “allium” vegetables should never be given to your rabbit in any quantity.

5. Rhubarb

Rhubarb can quickly cause a toxic reaction in rabbits, even if they only swallow a little bit. The big problem with this food is that it has lots of oxalates, which prevent your rabbit’s body from getting the calcium it needs.

Some of the signs that your rabbit is suffering from rhubarb poisoning:

  • Bloated abdomen
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargic behavior
  • Increased thirst
  • Swollen mouth

While most rabbits do not die from eating rhubarb, it can take quite a negative toll on their overall health. If you notice these symptoms in your bunny, you should get them to the vet immediately.

6. Iceberg Lettuce

You might think that it is perfectly okay to give your rabbit iceberg lettuce, but you should think again. This particular type of lettuce contains a chemical known as lactucarium, which can have a very negative impact on your rabbit’s health.

You can give your rabbit just about any other type of lettuce, but you should avoid giving them this one. It doesn’t take much of this lettuce to have a toxic effect on your rabbit.

SEE NEXT:  Spaying or Neutering Your Pet Rabbit - Benefits & Info
two rabbit eat

7. Sugary Foods

Any foods that contain a significant amount of sugar are not good for rabbits and shouldn’t be given to them at all. It is always better to keep sugar out of your bunny’s diet as much as possible.

Foods with loads of carbs and/or sugar can quickly cause your rabbit to become severely overweight, which in turn can lead to numerous other health problems. You can avoid all of this by simply not giving them sugary/junk foods in any amount. There are plenty of healthier alternatives for treats or snacks.

8. Silverbeet

Silverbeet is a leafy vegetable that is actually really bad for rabbits. These animals should never be given any of this food, as it can cause severe bloating. While it might not be fatal, it will most likely cause your rabbit extreme discomfort. This food can also disturb your bunny’s digestive system, which is quite delicate.

9. Grapes

Even grapes can cause a negative reaction in rabbits, especially in excessive quantities. This is mostly due to the decently high amount of sugar in this fruit. It can also mess with your rabbit’s digestive system.

How to React when Your Rabbit Eats Something Poisonous

If you notice your rabbit eat something that is poisonous to them, or you suspect they have, you should call your vet right away. You should have the number of a vet that specializes in exotic animals in your phone.

Depending on what the vet says, you may have to bring them in for treatment immediately. It is important that you do not hesitate in this situation, as it could cost your pet its life. You should never underestimate the powerful effects that certain foods can have on these animals.

SEE NEXT:  Rabbit Poo - What you need to keep an eye at

Conclusion

  • Avocado is one of the most toxic foods to rabbits because of a certain chemical compound in it.
  • You should never let your rabbit have any chocolate. It contains a chemical that is poisonous to them, as well as a significant amount of caffeine.
  • Apple seeds can have a severe toxic effect on your rabbit, even in small quantities.
  • The pits of peaches, apricots and plums are also highly toxic to rabbits.
  • If you are going to give your rabbit any of these fruits or vegetables, remove the seeds and pits first.
  • Avoid giving your rabbit any iceberg lettuce, as it is very poisonous to them.
  • Sugary foods aren’t inherently poisonous to rabbits, but they can have a very negative impact on their health over a short period of time.
  • Silverbeet might seem like a healthy leafy vegetable to give your rabbit, but it is actually quite poisonous to them.
Leave a Comment