If you want to get a new dog but have an autistic child, it is important that you look into some of your options.
There are plenty of different dogs that would make for a great addition to your family.
The more you research these options, the better of a choice you will make.
10 Best Dogs with Autistic Children
1. Old English Sheepdog – Best Dog with Autistic Children
The Old English Sheepdog is a very intelligent and sociable breed. It is a great choice for anyone who has a developmentally delayed child. These dogs are known for being very gentle and are not aggressive whatsoever.
They can grow up to 100 pounds and 24 inches tall. This is a pretty big dog, so you should have a good size house and a big backyard for it to run around in.
2. Staffordshire Bull Terrier
The Staffordshire Bull Terrier looks a bit intimidating at first glance, but it is actually quite affectionate and kind hearted. This dog can grow up to nearly 40 pounds with a maximum height of 16 inches.
It is an excellent small dog that is extremely loyal and protective of its family members. This breed is known for being fearless and very reliable overall.
3. Bernese Mountain Dog
The Bernese Mountain Dog is also a very smart dog that is great with kids of all ages, including ones with autism. These dogs always look like they are smiling, which just adds to their adorable charm.
The long coat of this dog does require regular grooming, but the unconditional love they offer makes it worth it. They are very playful animals that your child is bound to love spending lots of time with over the years.
4. German Shepherd
A German Shepherd will also make for an excellent canine companion for your autistic child. This breed has a reputation for being extremely protective, especially of small children. They are not very aggressive, especially with proper training.
In fact, they are frequently used as service and emotional support animals. You can trust that your child will be completely comfortable around one of these dogs.
The Samoyed is an intelligent dog that is naturally friendly and outgoing towards just about everyone. Your child will have fun playing with them all day long without any issues whatsoever.
You will need to make sure that this dog gets enough exercise on a regular basis though. If you want to keep your dog healthy and at a normal weight, this is incredibly important.
6. Great Dane
The Great Dane is one of the gentlest big dogs on the planet. This breed is very loving and will guard your child with its life. These dogs are also known for their boundless loyalty, which you can always count on. There are few other dog breeds that can compare to this one in terms of sheer devotion to its family.
Corgis are small and adorable dogs with a lot of personality. They absolutely radiate friendliness and warmth. The Cardigan Welsh Corgi is a better choice than the Pembroke Welsh variety, as it tends to be far less aggressive. If you want a dog that won’t bother your child at all, this is something to consider.
These dogs are very lovable and have a lot to offer as canine companions. Another great thing about these Corgis is that they tend to get along very well with other pets in the house.
8. Saint Bernard
The massive size of the Saint Bernard might scare off some people with small and/or autistic children, but it is actually very gentle. This breed is known for being friendly, affectionate and very loyal. These giant beasts are quite sweet overall, so you won’t have to be concerned about the safety of your children at all.
This is also one of the best guard dogs you can get in the entire world. There is no criminal that won’t be scared off by the presence of this dog.
While the Rottweiler has a reputation for being fierce and aggressive, it is completely undeserved. These dogs are naturally sweet and affectionate, and some of them don’t grow to be any larger than 80 pounds or so. They love to cuddle up with their family members, including children.
Your child will love giving this dog big hugs every single day. This is another excellent choice for anyone who has an autistic child.
10. Golden Retriever
A Golden Retriever is the perfect overall dog for families. These dogs are very patient and gentle, which are two important characteristics if you have an autistic child. They have a docile nature and don’t get upset easily at all. These are just some of the reasons why Goldens are often used as service dogs for people with anxiety and depression.
They do need a good amount of exercise on a daily basis. You can keep them happy with two walks a day and plenty of affection. There is a very good chance that your child will quickly fall in love with this type of dog.
- The Old English Shepherd is a beautiful dog that has a reputation for being large but gentle.
- The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a somewhat tough looking dog with a lovable and affectionate personality.
- The Bernese Mountain Dog does very well with small children, but it does require quite a bit of grooming to prevent massive shedding.
- German Shepherds are loyal dogs that will always keep a watchful eye over your little one.
- The Samoyed is an extremely friendly and good-natured breed that always seems to have tons of energy.
- Great Danes are massive dogs with an equally big heart, and they are known for being unbelievable loyal.
- The Cardigan Welsh Corgi is also a great choice if you have an autistic child, as it is both small and calm by nature.
- The Saint Bernard will provide your family with years of loyal companionship with its sweet personality.
- Rottweilers might seem a little scary at first, but they are actually very sweet and even-tempered dogs.
- The Golden Retriever is an ideal family dog that loves to stay active and spend time playing with kids.